Sector Capacity Building
Koorana has been funded by the NSW Department of Education to provide inclusion consultancy support to nominated teachers and educators in community based preschools through the Canterbury/Bankstown District.
What is Sector Capacity Building?
The program is designed to help preschools increase their capacity to include children with disability and additional needs on the same basis as their peers.
What does a Sector Capacity Building Program do?
The program is designed to enable equitable educational outcomes for children with disability and additional needs consistent with the five outcome areas of the Early Years Learning Framework:
- Confident and Involved Learners; and
It also assists preschools to understand the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) as it relates to the delivery of supports for children through the Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) approach within an educational setting.
How do we support Preschools?
We support preschools by:
- Engaging in conversations over the phone, e-mail correspondence and visits to preschools to build respectful, collaborative partnerships with all educators;
- Coaching and mentoring educators to enable children with disability and additional needs to participate in quality programs on the same basis as their peers;
- Supporting educators in applying for Disability Inclusion Program (DIP) funding for children with high learning support needs and other funding; and
- Providing free professional development & networking forums.