All Children, All Abilities, All Possibilities

Who is it for?

Home & Community Based Learning is for families who have a child aged 0-8 in Inner West Sydney, or 0-15 in South West Sydney with a disability or developmental delay, or who needs extra help to reach their developmental milestones.

What is a Key Worker?

A Key Worker is a professional with expertise in child development and experience in supporting families. Your Key Worker’s role is to learn all about your family and child’s life. With these understandings, your Key Worker, supported by the transdisciplinary team, will work in partnership with your family to help you to achieve your goals. This approach is used with children aged 0-8 years. 

How Home & Community Based Learning works

We support your child’s learning by helping you to understand their learning needs and strengths, and make the most of natural learning opportunities that occur during every day.

You will have a key worker who will be a skilled specialist teacher or therapist who is part of a transdisciplinary team working closely with you to understand your child’s learning needs and strengths, and identify your family’s priorities.

We suggest strategies you can use in daily routine activities to develop your child’s play and learning skills, and to support their participation in family and community life.

Practical ideas and resources are provided to help your child communicate effectively so that they can understand and be understood.

Your worker will help you to understand services and community supports that may be useful to you, and will offer help to transition into the setting you choose.

Where does it happen?

Your worker will visit you in your home at a time that is convenient to you. Visits can also take place in community settings such as parks and shopping centres and in Early Childhood Settings and Schools.

How long does it go for?­

Individual visits generally go for an hour. The length and the frequency of the visits are dependent upon your child’s needs.

What if I do not speak English?

Your worker can arrange for an interpreter if you need.

What does it cost?

Disability-specific government funding covers the core costs of the service.